Up for auction is this 1955 International R-170 Fire Truck. Introduced in 1953 as the replacement for the International L-Series, the R-Series marked the introduction of four-wheel-drive vehicles for International and retained the Super Blue Diamond BD-269 engine from the L-series. Offered in light, medium, and heavy-duty guise for a range of applications, the R-Series trucks saw widespread industrial use as school buses, pickups, panel trucks, chassis-cab vehicles, tandem-axle semitractors, and fire engines. Acquired from a private collector in Southern Florida, this classic fire truck has since received a full tune-up, a new brake booster, and is now being offered for auction by its seller out of Florida.
Exhibiting a beautiful natural patina, this R-170 is finished in red and features hand-painted accent stripes, polished fittings, emergency lights, a dually rear axle, and a pump control panel with an engine-turned aluminum gauge surround. Red-painted steel wheels are mounted with a set of heavy-duty Firestone tires. The bed of the truck is fitted with a vintage cotton canvas fire hose and antique fire extinguishers are mounted on either side of the tailgate.
Inside, the cabin features a black vinyl bench seat with contrasting white piping. Additional equipment includes a pair of analog gauges, siren and light controls, a locking glove box, manual roll-up windows, and a black plastic floor liner. A metal tag affixed to the door of the glovebox shows this vehicle was originally equipped with a “NoSPIN Differential” manufactured by Detroit Automotive Products Corporation.
Power comes from a 4.4L Super Blue Diamond BD-269 inline 6-cylinder engine which produces up to 101 HP and drives the wheels through a 5-speed manual gearbox. A full tune-up was carried out in preparation for sale along with the installation of a new brake booster.
This sale will include a vintage first aid kit, fire hose, fire extinguishers, and a clean title.